Jeffrey S. Oppenheim, M.D.
- Good Samaritan Hospital, Suffern,New York
- Nyack Hospital, Nyack ,New York
- St. Anthony Community Hospital, Warwick,New York
- Bon Secours Community Hospital, Port Jervis,New York
- Orange Regional Medical Center, Goshen,New York
- Helen Hayes Hospital, West Haverstraw,New York
- Orange Regional Medical Center, Middletown,New York
- Catskill Regional Medical Center, Harris,New York
- Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York
- St. Lukes/Roosevelt Hospital, New York City
- St. Luke’s Hospital, Newburgh, New York
- Cornwall Hospital, Cornwall, New York
Diplomate of the American Board of Neurological Surgeons, November 1996-
Instructor in Neurosurgery, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1995-
ASSOCIATIONS AND APPOINTMENTS
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- New York State Neurosurgical Society
- North American Spine Society
- Medical Society of the State of New York (Board Member, 1999-2003)
- Rockland County Medical Society (President, 1998-1999)
- Rockland County Board of Health (Board Member, 2001-; President, 2004-)
- Princeton University Alumni Schools Committee, (Regional Chairman, 1997-)
- Chief Resident, Department of Neurosurgery, Mt. Sinai Medical Center, N.Y.C., 1993-1994
- Resident, Department of Neurosurgery, Mt. Sinai Medical Center, N.Y.C, 1989-1994.
- Intern, Department of Surgery, Mt Sinai Medical Center, N.Y.C., 1988-1989.
- MD with Honors in Research, Cornell University Medical College, N.Y.C., N.Y., 1988.
- A.B. Neuroscience, Summa Cum Laude, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, 1984.
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors New York Metro Area
- Hudson Valley Magazine “Top Doctors”
- Guide to America’s Top Surgeons
Dr. Oppenheim has been an active lecturer, educator, and researcher. He was a participant in helping the New York State Department of Health draft the first "surgical and Invasive Procedure Protocol for every hospital, Treatment Center and ASC in the State. Until these rules were instituted by the NYS DOH in 2006, there was no mandatory protocol in the state to prevent wrong sided and wrong patient surgery. The institution of the "checklist" has been copied by many different health organizations around the world and prevented innumerable medical errors.
Dr. Oppenheim also played a key role in reformulating the New York State criteria for the determination of brain death. Without specific, reproducible and reliable methods for determining brain death, organ harvest and donation would not be possible. Thousands of lives currently depend on the availability of donated organs. Hence, these Guidelines for Determining Brain Death were critical for saving lives.
Selected Publications & Presentations
- Spinal cord bypass surgery using peripheral nerve transfers: review of translational studies and a case report on its use following complete spinal cord injury in a hu...Oppenheim, J.S., Spitzer, D.E., Winfree, C.J.; Neurosurg Focus. 2009-02-01.
- Response to commentary by Scott Haldeman, DC regarding "Nonvascular complications of spinal manipulation".Oppenheim, J.S., Segal, D.H., Spitzer, D.E.; Spine J. 2006-07-01.
- To the editor.Oppenheim, J.S.; Spine J. 2006-01-01.
- Nonvascular complications following spinal manipulation.Oppenheim, J.S., Spitzer, D.E., Segal, D.H.; Spine J. 2005-11-01.
- Persistent iliac crest donor site pain: independent outcome assessment.Oppenheim, J.S., Segal, D.H., Spitzer, D.E.; Neurosurgery. 2002 Sep.
- ACF with and without plates.Spitzer, D., Oppenheim, J., Segal, D.; Surg Neurol. 2002 Mar.
- Osteopathic treatment of low back pain.Oppenheim, J. S.; N Engl J Med. 2000 Mar 16.
- Thoracic herniated discs: review of the literature and 12 cases.Oppenheim, J. S., Rothman, A. S., Sachdev, V. P.; Mt Sinai J Med. 1993 Sep.
- Intracranial chordoma in a preadolescent. Case report.Oppenheim, J. S., Rosenblum, B. R., Sacher, M., Wolfe, D., Wallace, S., Rothman, A. S.; Surg Neurol. 1991 Mar.
- Acute atraumatic subdural hematoma associated with moyamoya disease in an African-American.Oppenheim, J. S., Gennuso, R., Sacher, M., Hollis, P.; Neurosurgery. 1991 Apr.
- Ependymomas of the third ventricle.Oppenheim, J. S., Strauss, R. C., Mormino, J., Sachdev, V. P., Rothman, A. S.; Neurosurgery. 1994 Feb.
- Symptomatic cavernous malformations affecting the spine and spinal cord.Harrison, M. J., Eisenberg, M. B., Ullman, J. S., Oppenheim, J. S., Camins, M. B., Post, K. D.; Neurosurgery. 1995 Aug.
- Fibrin glue for cranial defects.Oppenheim, J. S., Spitzer, D. E., Segal, D. H.; Surg Neurol. 1999 Mar.
- Neurological recovery after cranioplasty.Segal, D. H., Oppenheim, J. S., Murovic, J. A.; Neurosurgery. 1994 Apr.